The end of rainy season is a great time to purge your house of the scourge of mold. The wetness, closed windows and general ennui of winter let mold spores thrive, so it’s not surprising if your home is smelling a little bit musty by this time of year.
Mold is gross, it’s a potent allergen, and it can also be dangerous. We’ve all heard of black mold and how invasive and indestructible it can be.
The goods news? It is actually possible for you to treat a threatening mold infestation in your own home before it takes over and turns into a horror movie. And it can be done organically.
Equal parts borax and baking soda mixed in warm water.
Borax sounds toxic, but don’t be fooled by the name. It’s actually a naturally occurring mineral—a sort of salt—found in the beds of dried up lakes. In certain other cultures, it’s actually used as a food additive to create texture (We don’t recommend binging on it however—stick to chocolate cake).
Of course, it’s always a good idea to wear gloves when using any cleaning product in order to avoid irritating the skin.
For really tough mold that just doesn’t want to let go, you can substitute Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds for the warm water. Sal Suds is a great degreaser and one of our favorite products at Greenforce. It’s made with a base of surfactants and fir tree oils. Like all the products we use, it’s non-toxic, environmentally friendly and safe for humans.
If mold has been left a long time it can actually grow into grout or into the walls. This might require a Mold Remediation company and some demolition. An ounce of prevention……