This is the time of year when we leave the chaos of the holidays behind and start to think about how we can simplify and improve our lives for the year ahead. What better resolutions to make than ones that benefit our health, our home, and the planet? With that in mind, here are five ideas for ways you can pledge to make positive choices in the year ahead:
- Choose products with less ingredients. This goes for food (ideally avoiding processed foods), cosmetics/bodycare products, and cleaning products. Replace at least some of your cleaning products with good old-fashioned vinegar and water. Avoid bleach when you can.
- Throw out your Teflon pans! Teflon, for so long a popular nonstick option, is now known to emit toxic fumes when scratched and heated. Consider cast iron instead.
- Trade in your mattress and bedding for organic options. If you can’t quite afford a whole new mattress just yet, consider buying an organic cotton mattress topper and organic cotton sheets.
- Use filtered tap water instead of bottled. Less plastic waste, less chance of contaminants.
- Think about what you’re stocking your kitchen with. Eating local, sustainable, organic foods whenever possible is better for your body and the community you live in. Localfoodswheel.com sells a handy tool to help you figure out what’s local and seasonal in your area.
Happy new years from all of us at Greenforce!